[plug] Sobering read on the reality of open source software development

Kevin Shackleton krshackleton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 10:50:16 AWST 2022

I contribute considerably more to open source software (e.g. LibreOffice,
QGIS, Python) than I would pay for commercial software.  OK, ArcGIS costs a
lot more but I would not buy it.

A problem that open source has is that there is an increasing expectation
for a glitzy GUI, whereas a lot of open source contribution better fits a
more simple UNIX'y model - do a bit, do it right - where the contribution
might be tied to tertiary institutions or developing a person's CV.  Some
businesses have achieved stability in the "glitzy" space, that's who I
donate to.  Of course they also seek and get corporate funding and/or have
commercial arms, typically selling support packages.  That's a glaring
problem with OpenSSL - they deserve to be swimming in cash from grateful
corporates.  Why do they not receive funds when other open source entities
do?

So guys - where a product requests donations, dig into your pockets and
reduce the anguish!

Regards,
Kevin.