[plug] TarSnap (was: Re: May events)

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed May 11 11:27:30 AWST 2022

On 1/5/22 09:34, PLUG Secretary wrote:

> Tuesday 10th May, 18:00 - 21:00
> Our May talk is Tarsnap, presented by Niall Navin
>
> In this day and age backups are ubiquitous with basic system
> administration. Tarsnap augments the traditional tape archive program,
> tar, to provide encryption and cloud storage. Designed such that not
> even the creator can access your data, its tagline is 'Online backups
> for the truly paranoid'

Thanks to Niall for the TarSnap talk. I had to view on-line so thanks also to
the AV team and particularly Nick for their efforts.

As they say "An example is worth a thousand instruction manuals" so it was
good to get an overview (I had misunderstood how/where the encryption was
done) and then some live demos of working with the tool.

All the best
Harry