[plug] TPG group no longer providing email

stinga stinga at wolf-rock.com
Wed Aug 2 11:07:46 AWST 2023

On 02/08/2023 10:10, William Kenworthy wrote:

> I presume there are a lot of other PLUG members who use a TPG group
> ISP like I do.
>
> It looks like iinet (and all TPG companies)  are dropping all email
> services (but apparently not dropping prices) and are force migrating
> people to a commercial company - free for now but ...
>
> The migration so far looks like a rolling disaster from some TPG
> focused forums I read.  Like almost everyone I have a google email
> address but is there a reasonable Australian ISP in Perth that still
> carries email?  Telstra and Optus have never been "good" in my
> opinion.  I also run my home phone through them via asterisk and have
> mobiles with them - I am not sure they would consider them core
> services either. I do not store any email at iinet - they provide imap
> pickup (I run a local mail gateway), a couple of email aliases,
> provide virus and spam protection but that's it.
>
> Its looking like my best option is to stay with iinet (for now) and
> migrate away from iinet starting with email.
>
> What are others considering?
>
> BillK

I run my own email server and always have (not strictly true in the
early days), this is one of the reasons why.
It took me about 3 months to realise being tied to an ISP email address
was going to end badly when I wanted to move)

I would never use an ISPs email offering as you are then tied to that
service (well there are ways to mitigate that but on the whole for most
people I tell them not use their ISPs email service, usually it is just
a bad service and not really supported)

I recommend gmail for most people as it is simple and works.
And I don't particularly like web base email clients either! Too easy to
pick up nasties.

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email:stinga at wolf-rock.com          o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\