[plug] TPG group no longer providing email

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Aug 2 13:04:09 AWST 2023

Hi,

On 2/8/23 10:10 am, William Kenworthy wrote:
> What are others considering?

I run my own mailserver but I must admit it's got a bit iffy in recent
years. When it came time to set up my kids with an email what I did was
buy a domain for them on gandi.net (great hosting company based in
Europe) and then pay for two mailboxes attached to the domain.

It costs 3 euro per month per mailbox, with the first year free. Gandi
provides webmail (Roundcube and one other option) and all the usual
stuff like DKIM, spam filtering, etc. etc. At first I was hesitant
because of the price but I realized that there are a number of advantages:

- We control the domain so in future we can move if we want.
- They take care of a lot of very annoying mail sysadmin compliance and
maintainance stuff noted above.
- Unlike Gmail it's just a standard IMAP box with no silly Google Auth
nonsense.
- They seem to care a lot about privacy.
- Email is a pretty critical piece of life-infrastructure so it's worth
the small monetary cost.

Working well so far.

I think this is a good balance between full blown running your own email
server and going with a mainstream provider. The level of control,
independence, and lack of fuss is better than both extreme ends of the
spectrum.

Cheers,

Chris.

--