[plug] TPG group no longer providing email

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Mon Aug 14 17:54:42 AWST 2023

On 2/8/23 10:10, William Kenworthy wrote:
> I presume there are a lot of other PLUG members who use a TPG group ISP like I do.
>
> It looks like iinet (and all TPG companies)  are dropping all email services (but apparently not dropping prices) and are force migrating people to a commercial company - free for now but ...
>
> The migration so far looks like a rolling disaster from some TPG focused forums I read.  Like almost everyone I have a google email address but is there a reasonable Australian ISP in Perth that still carries email?  Telstra and Optus have never been "good" in my opinion.  I also run my home phone through them via asterisk and have mobiles with them - I am not sure they would consider them core services either. I do not store any email at iinet - they provide imap pickup (I run a local mail gateway), a couple of email aliases, provide virus and spam protection but that's it.
>
> Its looking like my best option is to stay with iinet (for now) and migrate away from iinet starting with email.
>
> What are others considering?

G'day Bill,

I've been running an E-mail server as long as I can remember. I migrated from Sendmail to Exim about 20 years ago. Before that it gets hazy.

Over the years, hosting from home has become slightly more complex because I can't get assigned an RDNS, so I pay ~$110/yr for a Debian VPS in Sydney somewhere which acts as my outbound mail relay. I also have a backup in the UK on the rare occasion that has issues (Exigent have become more reliable since they were bought out). It's also a secondary MX for incoming and backup DNS.

We run about 7 domains from home including the small business. Setting up DMARC and DKIM was a learning curve, but didn't really take long.

I just got sick of playing ISP mail roulette with addresses. From Omen to iiNet to WASP, so I registered some domains and haven't had an issue since.

I even have a Zimbra instance for one of the businesses (Outlook MAPI and Activesync), and Exim just plays forwarder to that, and relay from that. One point in and out.

Maybe I'm a masochist, but in all honesty I probably spend half an hour a year on maintenance and I have control over the whole chain.

Regards,
Brad