[plug] Upcoming events: March 2023 and beyond

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 9 02:18:20 AWST 2023

If you haven't made it over east to https://everythingopen.au/ ,
pop in for this month's events.

TITLE: PLUG+POSH Hack afternoon at the Artifactory
DATE: Second Sunday 2023-03-12
TIME: 12:00--16:00
VENUE: https://artifactory.org.au/
	Unit 8 / 16 Guthrie Street Osborne Park WA 6017
COST: $5 entrance fee if you are not an Artifactory member
AGENDA: BYO project, or join in on the organisational/tech todo's for PLUG!

TITLE: SBC Jam
DATE: Second Tuesday 2023-03-14
TIME: 18:00--21:00
VENUE: Riff, powered by Spacecubed, 45 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000
AGENDA: Single Board Computer Jam - after last year's Linux Smörgåsbord,
    we're holding a SBC workshop. Bring your own laptop/pi/etc. Let us know
    it you want to talk about or demonstrate a project you've done.
  - Light refreshments from 18:30, talks start 19:00
    (Doors are locked at 18:00 so please call the number on the door.)
  - Visitors welcome, membership and rejoining encouraged
  - Sponsored by https://www.spacecubed.com/ - Perth's innovation, startup
    and co-working hub. If you're interested in joining a community of over
    800 entrepreneurs, startups & businesses, start by becoming a Community
    Member.

TITLE: PLUG-in-the-Pub March 2023
DATE: Last Monday 2023-03-27 (every two months)
TIME: 18:00--20:00
VENUE: https://feniansirishpub.com.au/
	Fenians Irish Pub, 221 Adelaide Terrace, Perth WA 6000
	(Plenty of public transport, or street parking after 6pm. Get
	 in early for happy hour, $8 pints from 5pm until 6pm)
COST: Your own drinks and food

TITLE: PLUG+POSH Hack afternoon at the Artifactory
DATE: Second Sunday 2023-04-09

TITLE: Second Tuesday timeslot
DATE: Second Tuesday 2023-04-11

TITLE: PLUG+POSH Hack afternoon at the Artifactory
DATE: Second Sunday 2023-05-09

TITLE: Second Tuesday timeslot
DATE: Second Tuesday 2023-05-14

TITLE: PLUG-in-the-Pub May 2023
DATE: Last Monday 2023-03-29 (every two months)
TIME: 18:00--20:00
VENUE: https://norfolkhotel.com.au/
	Norfolk Hotel, 47 South Terrace, Fremantle WA 6160
COST: Your own drinks and food

PLUG needs you!
We have a fresh start to the year and very little in the pipeline. We
need help from all the membership to get our user group humming again.

- Organisational admin
  - Apologies if your recent membership renewal hasn't been processed yet,
    don't hesitate to get it sorted out at an in-person event
  - locking in agendas for our Second Tuesday and Second Sunday monthly events
  - Publishing and cross-checking our events: https://github.com/plugorgau/calendar-check
  - Recommend a good day-of-week for your local PLUG-in-the-Pub
  - Website updates
  - Event planning, runsheets
- PLUG tech todo
  - Backups
  - Upgrades
  - Fixes: mailman and archives
  - Tests: test the servers/services, make a change, did it work?
  - Security: IDS? OWASP? fail2ban is not just for ssh!
  - Bridge irc.plug.org.au to matrix? Onboard more people to https://joinmatrix.org/ ?
  - Cloud cost control
- PLUG AV
  - Setup and teardown: what works, what doesn't, what's missing?
  - fighting entropy, making it a little better in the half-hour before
    each meeting until it's conference-grade again
  - Research and shopping

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal