[plug] Routing and firewalls

Dean Bergin dean.bergin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 08:02:04 AWST 2024

Hello Bill,

Thanks for sharing.

As a network engineer, I'm not normally exposed to these sorts of tools (I
normally operate on commercial grade/proprietary products like firewalls or
routers) so I often don't see much value in operating a host-level firewall
unless it's a server and/or said server participates in routing and/or
carries data plane traffic and you don't trust upstream.

I also think that these types of tools should be able to be abstracted by a
GUI or web-based interfaces to allow at least basic usage otherwise they
get resistance and uptake is low because of it.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve/solve but its good to
know that each iteration of the open source firewall/filtering tools seems
to be improving.

Kind Regards,

*Dean Bergin*.