[plug] Routing and firewalls

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Thu Feb 22 08:06:50 AWST 2024

On 22/2/24 08:02, Dean Bergin wrote:
> Hello Bill,
>
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> As a network engineer, I'm not normally exposed to these sorts of tools (I normally operate on commercial grade/proprietary products like firewalls or routers) so I often don't see much value in operating a host-level firewall unless it's a server and/or said server participates in routing and/or carries data plane traffic and you don't trust upstream.

G'day Fred ;)

Yes in this case the devices in question are among other things acting as firewalls and routers. One of the next items on my todo list is to put a proper firewall/router in place so these machines are further from the "world".
While I like the idea of a GUI abstraction, this particular case is one where there is a pretty robust and flexible GUI in place (new OpenWRT), however it doesn't have the flexibility to put the rules in place I need.
At least with direct access I can build the rules manually rather than relying on the GUI to do it for me.

Regards,
Brad