[plug] xfce on raspberry pi

M S R Wood msrwood at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 17:57:34 AWST 2024

I have just installed the latest Raspberry pi OS lite on my desktop
pi. 4. I then installed xfce4. plus lightdm and xfce4-terminal, used
raspi-config to set the machine to boot to the desktop with login
required.
I tnen logged in as the default user and got just the desktop
background with a single terminal - no panel or toolbar.
I could move the terminal with the mouse, start Firefox and use it,
but not move it.
I then installed xfce4-goodies and tried again
Same result.
I then installed xfce4-helpers, which was mentioned on one of the web
pages I found, and rebooted
This time when I logged in I just got the desktop background!

I've put the old SD card back in temporarily so I can use the computer

Firstly, if I put the new card back in, is there a way to get the pi
to boot to console rather than desktop so that I can change settings,
install/uninstall things? (As a last resort I can reimage the card and
start again but I'd prefer something quicker!)

Secondly, any suggestions as to packages I might need to install
and/or other settings I need to change to make xfce work "properly"

Margaret