[plug] blank screen issue

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Mar 1 14:11:36 AWST 2024

Couple of things come to mind, none of them a smoking gun:

   - If the computer is connected via HDMI and the cable is bad, all manner
   of fun things can happen.
   - Is power saving turned on somewhere and is it activating when the user
   does nothing?
   - Is the device being overloaded and is the machine freezing to protect
   itself from magic smoke escaping.
   - If the machine is unresponsive, is it unreachable through the network
   - ie. can you ssh into it?
   - dmesg -T will give you a human readable time stamped kernel log if you
   can get it. You might want to log it to disk using cron every minute while
   you're trying to discover what's wrong.
   - You can also log CPU/GPU temperatures to a file and see what happens.
   - Is the user changing video mode, or is a screensaver doing this for
   them?

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 at 12:09, gavinwc <gavin.chester at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Not sitting at the offending PC at the moment, so can't give any specifics
> on SW versions, etc at this time, sorry.
>
> Running up-to-date Mint on some heavy i7 NUC HW with a Dell 27" monitor.
> Every now and then, usually when trying to launch some full-screen video,
> the monitor blanks to just the backlight glow, the NUC fan speeds up and
> the keyboard is unresponsive. Because of the last factor, no amount of
> cntrl+BS, ctrl+alt+del, or trying to open a VT works. I have to do a hard
> reset. Any ideas of any other HW / keyboard options I can try, or even
> better, if there is a setting I need to look at to prevent this happening?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gavin

Onno Benschop

()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..

If you need to know: "What computer should I buy?" http://goo.gl/spsb66

ITmaze   -   ABN: 56 178 057 063   -  ph: 04 1219 8888   -
onno at itmaze.com.au