[PLUG-AV] GStreamer

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Mar 3 00:16:38 WST 2011

Anyone here played with GStreamer? I had a go a few years back - so I am
a little (a) rusty, and (b) out of touch with newer developments.

One of the potential software projects we could roll into this AV effort
is to roll a couple of GStreamer apps into the network of sources and
sinks that DVSwitch could pull from and push to.

The first one I thought of, was a potential "dead air avoidance"
program; something that runs on our master icecast server, generating a
video stream from a still image, or a local on-disk video loop with some
audio playing. This little program basically has a port listening for an
incoming video stream (from us at a meeting), and if we're not
connected, it switches to the local video/audio loop; whatever source it
has, it passes to the icecast server. Hence you never get an empty
icecast stream. This little script could be quite involved; it could
pull in an RSS feed(s) and ticket that a cross the screen, potentially
including a program schedule. It could show the local time (so you can
compare to the published schedule).

I was going to start hacking this in Perl, but before I do, does anyone
else have more experience, or recommendations of a better language to do
this in? Would anyone else like to have a crack at writing this?

  JEB
PS: No kit from Amazon yet. Last data I have is "International Dispatch,
February 27, 2011, 6:23 am, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)".

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to