[PLUG-AV] DV over USB?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Apr 18 11:45:24 WST 2011

Hi all,
Reading up on the dvgrav(1) release noes, and it says it does support
"DV-over-USB":

    2007-07-28  Dan Dennedy <dan at dennedy.org>
            - dvframe.h: define CLAMP if not building with libdv.
            - dvgrab.1, dvgrab.h: change default DV file format to raw.
            - dvgrab.1, v4l2reader.{h,c}, dvgrab.cc: add support for
    DV-over-USB
              (linux uvcvideo) with new -v4l2 option.

And this was in version 3.0:

    v3.0
    -------
    * Add HDV (MPEG2-TS) support (-f hdv)!
    * Add USB DV support (-v4l2)

Same time I saw a bug report that says it only actually worked in dvgrab
3.2 and newer (debian bug 509118; current dvgrab release is 3.5, which
is in Debian stable and newer).

So, question is, which DVcameras on the market now support streaming
over USB? Looking at this post
(http://www.kdenlive.org/forum/dv-capture-w-usb) says:

    98% of all miniDV cameras with USB do not support DV over USB. You
    need to see if your camera supports USB UVC:
    http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

However some have source said that its MPEG over USB, not DV-DIF.

Anyone got any experience with this? Anyone got time to do some
research? What model would we buy now (new) for this?

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to