[PLUG-AV] av2 update

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon May 16 14:22:36 WST 2011

Hey People,

I borrowed AV2 off James to see about having things in a bit more of a
ready-to-go-once-booted state since we seem to be a bit pressed for time
getting stuff ready prior to the talk starting.

This is a AMD 2Ghz dual-core system with 4GB of RAM so it's going to serve
as the dvswitch and mumble server. I can probably put the disks from "un" in
there too to give it 750GB of storage too for recording (existing disk is
~70GB). Audio seems to work well both out and in (was using a headset) so
it's a good box for checking audio etc...

I've also updated the bios on this box and it's one of the few AM2
motherboards that got a late BIOS update to support the newer Athlon II X4
or Phenom II X4 (quad-core) CPUs! So potential upgrade path here to a pretty
powerful machine (~$120 for a 3Ghz quad-core Athlon II X4 640).

The current situation is this:

- av2 - dvswitch, could potentially have audio-in from the wireless mic but
then won't be able to run the mumble client (still ok as server). This
system also has firewire and could also have a camera attached, it has
enough grunt for all this stuff to be running. *ACTION:* we need a 2nd
gigabit ethernet card for this machine - someone have one handy?

- av3 - firewire capture host, audio works but need to do more testing with
levels if we want to use it with the wireless mic

- av1 - I think we've been using this with the twinpac vga capture thing,
not sure of status but i think there are issues with audio (as a fw source
it's been fine).

- ? I seem to remember more than just 3 boxes?

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857