[PLUG-AV] av2 update

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon May 16 15:00:35 WST 2011

On 16/05/2011 2:22 PM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> This is a AMD 2Ghz dual-core system with 4GB of RAM so it's going to
> serve as the dvswitch and mumble server. I can probably put the disks
> from "un" in there too to give it 750GB of storage too for recording
> (existing disk is ~70GB). Audio seems to work well both out and in
> (was using a headset) so it's a good box for checking audio etc...
With 1.5 hours taking some 17 GB, I think the onboard is probably OK; I
doubt we're going to keep the full DV copies on line - or even offline
for that matter , after we have a good MP4 encode.

> I've also updated the bios on this box and it's one of the few AM2
> motherboards that got a late BIOS update to support the newer Athlon
> II X4 or Phenom II X4 (quad-core) CPUs! So potential upgrade path here
> to a pretty powerful machine (~$120 for a 3Ghz quad-core Athlon II X4
> 640).
So I guess the question is; how does it fair now on this, and should we
hit this button now? The other point it that this large case is very
noisy so it needs some attention (wd40?)

> The current situation is this:
> - av2 - dvswitch, could potentially have audio-in from the wireless
> mic but then won't be able to run the mumble client (still ok as
> server). This system also has firewire and could also have a camera
> attached, it has enough grunt for all this stuff to be running.
> *ACTION:* we need a 2nd gigabit ethernet card for this machine -
> someone have one handy?
No, but I have a USB audio card on its way so it could still serve as
principle audio capture and still let the operator mumble away.

> - av3 - firewire capture host, audio works but need to do more testing
> with levels if we want to use it with the wireless mic
>
> - av1 - I think we've been using this with the twinpac vga capture
> thing, not sure of status but i think there are issues with audio (as
> a fw source it's been fine).
>
> - ? I seem to remember more than just 3 boxes?

No, we have Av1, 2, 3 and 4 now; with AV2 as the powerful box.

When shall we do our next workshop? We should probably have a practice
of actually filing and streaming given our last workshop was just
machine tinkering. Perhaps next week? Shall we try for Artifactory for
say Thursday 26th? We also only had three of us present so a few more
people on deck would be useful too...

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au