[PLUG-AV] av2 update

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon May 16 15:41:05 WST 2011

> I've also updated the bios on this box and it's one of the few AM2
> motherboards that got a late BIOS update to support the newer Athlon II X4
> or Phenom II X4 (quad-core) CPUs! So potential upgrade path here to a pretty
> powerful machine (~$120 for a 3Ghz quad-core Athlon II X4 640).
>
> So I guess the question is; how does it fair now on this, and should we hit
> this button now? The other point it that this large case is very noisy so it
> needs some attention (wd40?)

I haven't done any load testing beyond some basic stuff and I think the
better thing is to test it out in a close to real situation, i.e. something
for the next workshop.

As for noise, the power saving features and fan control stuff was disabled
so this might help it somewhat but it also appears the PSU fan is just
old/worn so sometimes it gets pretty loud (a bit of a hit sometimes sorts it
out). Either need a new quiet PSU or replace the fan in there.

Another alternative would be a nice SFF case with quiet PSU - anyone have
anything to donate!?

> When shall we do our next workshop? We should probably have a practice of
> actually filing and streaming given our last workshop was just machine
> tinkering. Perhaps next week? Shall we try for Artifactory for say Thursday
> 26th? We also only had three of us present so a few more people on deck
> would be useful too...

That'll be for everyone else, i'll be un-available for a while except to
play on the machines at home in my own time.

Jason Nicholls
jason at mindsocket.com.au
0430 314 857