[PLUG-AV] Update AV quoet for LotteryWest

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 11:26:51 WST 2011

> As for cameras, this will be difficult as we need to get firewire
> (otherwise we have a bigger risk in switching to HD cameras and HDMI
> capture and possibly transcoding on capture boxes to SD before feeding
> to dvswitch...).

Interesting thought I had a little while ago. A lot of professional
videography is now done on consumer SLR cameras. (In particular Canons).
I know on my Mac, I can connect my canon SLR via usb and see the "video"
live. There has been work in creating drivers that allow that video to
be captured and/or streamed so to use it as a webcam.
My initial research suggests there was at one stage work on a V4L driver
for this kind of capture. When I get a bit more time I hope to research
it a bit more and see if I can make it work. I believe the reason for
the 12minute capture limit on the SLR's is to give the sensor a chance
to cool down, and because you don't normally need 12minutes of
continuous footage. (What scene is shot in one shoot longer than 12
minutes?) Not sure if there is a 12minute limit when doing capture over usb.

I'll look into this more when I can. Would be much easier than firewire,
and the basic SLR's are < $1000 now.

Tim