[PLUG-AV] Cameras : getting urgent now.

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Dec 5 14:10:44 WST 2011

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 12:19:56PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
[...]
> I'd like us to get our hands on one of the USB 3 HDMI capture devices
> and see if that will work as well, but again, later - after we have this
> current grant taken care of...

No.

I think that's precisely what we need to quote for, because I can't find
good value alternatives. So we need experimental alternatives.

* Two mid range HDMI-out camcorders, different brands, such as the Sony
  HDR-PJ10, $795 each at Harvey Norman. Subject to sanity checking
  on whether it includes its own battery eliminator and mini-HDMI to
  HDMI adaptor.

* Two HDMI capture interfaces, one PCI-E, one USB 3.0:
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
http://www.mbsdirect.com/current/BINTSSHU-BlackMagic-Intensity-Shuttle-USB-3.0-capture-device-for-Windows.html
http://www.tekserve.com/store/550/Capture_Cards_I_O_Devices/31036
USD$189.05 each plus P&P

* Two http://hdfury.eu/ 's so we can capture HDMI on a Twinpact 100.
http://hdfury.eu/product.php?id_product=10
EUR 208.25 each plus P&P

* Four secondhand MiniDV camcorders for a we-know-it-works some-may-break
option, Cash Converters or (less than) $450 each in the Quokka.

[...]
> We need to probably do that as well, but perhaps later as any delay now
> could delay our current grant application. I'm wondering if we should
> submit for the semi-professional cameras that still have fire wire on
> them; they may give a better image quality, etc.

I'm not swamped by easy-to-supply alternatives, so yes, we need those
quotes on new iLink/Fireware/IEEE1394/MiniDV cameras.

http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-fx1000e/specs	RRP AUD $5699

The rest of these are missing it...
http://www.sony.com.au/product/CompareProducts.action?site=hp_en_AU_i&models=HDR-PJ50VE&models=HDR-XR160E&models=DCR-SR68E&models=HDR-PJ30VE&models=HDR-PJ10E&models=HDR-CX700VE&models=HDR-CX130E&models=HDR-CX110E&models=DCR-SX65E&models=HDR-AX2000E&models=HDR-FX1000E&models=NEX-VG20E&models=NEX-VG20EH&models=NEX-VG10E

Probably one of these archived ones are available in shops:
http://www.sony.com.au/product/ProductComparisonWizard.action?site=hp_en_AU_i&sectiontype=product&modelName=HDR-FX1000E&deepestLevelCategoryId=CAM+Camcorder

Google's not helping much:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=camcorder+ilink|firewire|1394+-cable&tbm=shop

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal