[PLUG-AV] Cameras : getting urgent now.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Dec 5 14:55:07 WST 2011

On 5/12/2011 2:10 PM, Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 12:19:56PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> [...]
>> I'd like us to get our hands on one of the USB 3 HDMI capture devices
>> and see if that will work as well, but again, later - after we have this
>> current grant taken care of...
> No.
>
> I think that's precisely what we need to quote for, because I can't find
> good value alternatives. So we need experimental alternatives.
Saying "experimental" may not be reassuring for a grant. Hence staying
to the proven track... if possible...

> * Two mid range HDMI-out camcorders, different brands, such as the Sony
>   HDR-PJ10, $795 each at Harvey Norman. Subject to sanity checking
>   on whether it includes its own battery eliminator and mini-HDMI to
>   HDMI adaptor.
Cable for this isn't a problem - I purchased one from Deal Extreme last
year to confirm my personal mini-HDMI out camera does live feed for
capture (it does). What is an unknown is getting Linux to talk to an
HDMI capture device of some sort, and then getting video (transcoded?)
to dvswitch.

> * Two HDMI capture interfaces, one PCI-E, one USB 3.0:
> http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
> http://www.mbsdirect.com/current/BINTSSHU-BlackMagic-Intensity-Shuttle-USB-3.0-capture-device-for-Windows.html
> http://www.tekserve.com/store/550/Capture_Cards_I_O_Devices/31036
> USD$189.05 each plus P&P
>
> * Two http://hdfury.eu/ 's so we can capture HDMI on a Twinpact 100.
> http://hdfury.eu/product.php?id_product=10
> EUR 208.25 each plus P&P
Why get a Fury (to capture HDMI to Twinpact to PC), when you have HDMI
capture with the Blackmagic Shuttle above (HDMI direct to PC, no
Twinpact required?)?

> * Four secondhand MiniDV camcorders for a we-know-it-works some-may-break
> option, Cash Converters or (less than) $450 each in the Quokka.

My only reasons for this are: LotteryWest are after a formal quote; and
we want a repeatable supply chain if possible.

> [...]
>> We need to probably do that as well, but perhaps later as any delay now
>> could delay our current grant application. I'm wondering if we should
>> submit for the semi-professional cameras that still have fire wire on
>> them; they may give a better image quality, etc.
> I'm not swamped by easy-to-supply alternatives, so yes, we need those
> quotes on new iLink/Fireware/IEEE1394/MiniDV cameras.

Yes, and the best I can see -- as you show -- are the "professional" models:

> http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-fx1000e/specs	RRP AUD $5699

But I thought I saw one around $1500 or so.... can't see it now...

What we HAD put on our original submission was a quote for a pair of
Canon HV20 from Camera-Warehouse.com.au, but now that I check that it
doesn't have firewire...

I spoke with Plaza camera and they don't have anything.  They did
recommend Camera Electronic, whom I have emailed.
http://www.cameraelectronic.com.au/

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>