[PLUG-AV] Cameras : getting urgent now.

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Mon Dec 5 23:34:54 WST 2011

This looks good.

I'm starting to work with getting v4l devices talking to dvswitch now
anyway, but we've got a tried and tested solution with firewire that is
reliable so lets not complicate the setup at this stage.

The catch with USB devices, is that if they are not DV based (DV format
over USB) we need to encode the video into DV on the fly - and this may
be expensive in CPU terms. Most v4l devices like web cameras don't feed
out DV, but rather a simple jpeg/mpeg picture stream. I'm not sure what
video cameras provide over USB yet.

I'll start looking at the tally light system again - as we're moving to
a laptop based solution, we will probably lose any serial port option
for this, but I have some experience with developing circuits based on
Atmel micro controllers, and can develop a simple USB to LED interface
that looks like either a MIDI or Serial device - both easily scriptable
from Linux and driven directly from the USB port. This might be a nice
open source/open hardware project to feed back into the dvswitch project.

Regards,

Euan.