[PLUG-AV] Cameras : getting urgent now.

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Dec 6 00:12:38 WST 2011

James - do you have a partial quote you're getting together? Could you
post it here (as text or HTML) ?

On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 09:55:21PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
[...]
> I suspect that after we have a working solution from the grant, we'll
> want to tinker with purchasing a few additionals here and there to play
> with anyway. We can always put in another grant request to upgrade next year.

Thing is - I think we've done the right thing (and impressed Lotterywest)
by actually putting together our working system; and making a very small
grant request.

I don't think it's the right thing to add in the sort of expensive
non-EOL'ed camera hardware that is overkill from what we actually want,
just to make it reproducible. That rules out things like those Canon HV40's.

I think it is the right thing to fund ourselves for some basic hardware
upgrades with some flexibility to experiment to get things right. If we
find an excellent combination, _then_ we put in another grant request to
make that reproducible.

So - yes, I do think we want those three remaining Canon HV40's, but
we also want some experimental line items to try HDMI capture from
them. If Lotterywest thinks that's a bad idea, they will tell us. If
we ask for what we actually want it's better than an overconservative
(but much more expensive) quote for what we expect will work _and_
still be available in January 2012.

In rough decreasing order of priority:

Qty	Description						Price

3	Firewire Expresscard					$114.40
	http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/BC-CO10090/53/

-	Postage and packing					$250

2	HDMI capture interfaces, one PCI-E, one USB 3.0		USD $189.05 each
	http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
	http://www.mbsdirect.com/current/BINTSSHU-BlackMagic-Intensity-Shuttle-USB-3.0-capture-device-for-Windows.html
	http://www.tekserve.com/store/550/Capture_Cards_I_O_Devices/31036

2	http://hdfury.eu/					EUR 208.25
	http://hdfury.eu/product.php?id_product=10

-	Power adaptors and cables				$200

-	Firewire cables						$150

-	Audio cables						$150

6	CR2025 3V Lithium Battery				$2.95 each
	http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB2520

-	Network cables						$50

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal