[PLUG-AV] Cameras : getting urgent now.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Dec 6 11:34:59 WST 2011

On 6/12/2011 12:12 AM, Nick Bannon wrote:
> James - do you have a partial quote you're getting together? Could you
> post it here (as text or HTML) ?

I dont have a partial quote for the odds and ends line items - if you
want ot get formal quotes together (ie, as a PDF showing the vendor and
a quote number) please do so; we have a limited window now if we want to
add stuff in. I sent the quote for the 3 x HV40s to
LotteryWestyesterday, and they have confirmed:

    Thank you James, I will be in touch if I require any other information.

So we may be able to say "oh, and this we forgot", but if that's an
issue for them, we have a good bunch of stuff now.

> Thing is - I think we've done the right thing (and impressed Lotterywest)
> by actually putting together our working system; and making a very small
> grant request.
>
> I don't think it's the right thing to add in the sort of expensive
> non-EOL'ed camera hardware that is overkill from what we actually want,
> just to make it reproducible. That rules out things like those Canon HV40's.
Agreed - we have a split focus of "commodity", and "available
ongoing/reproducable".

> I think it is the right thing to fund ourselves for some basic hardware
> upgrades with some flexibility to experiment to get things right. If we
> find an excellent combination, _then_ we put in another grant request to
> make that reproducible.
>
> So - yes, I do think we want those three remaining Canon HV40's, but
> we also want some experimental line items to try HDMI capture from
> them. If Lotterywest thinks that's a bad idea, they will tell us. If
> we ask for what we actually want it's better than an overconservative
> (but much more expensive) quote for what we expect will work _and_
> still be available in January 2012.
>
> In rough decreasing order of priority:
>
> Qty	Description						Price
>
> 3	Firewire Expresscard					$114.40
> 	http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/BC-CO10090/53/
>
> -	Postage and packing					$250
Agreed.

> 2	HDMI capture interfaces, one PCI-E, one USB 3.0		USD $189.05 each
> 	http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
> 	http://www.mbsdirect.com/current/BINTSSHU-BlackMagic-Intensity-Shuttle-USB-3.0-capture-device-for-Windows.html
> 	http://www.tekserve.com/store/550/Capture_Cards_I_O_Devices/31036

I don't understand where we will put the PCI-E device. I think just one
USB3 based HDMI capture device as our experiement.

> 2	http://hdfury.eu/					EUR 208.25
> 	http://hdfury.eu/product.php?id_product=10
Again I think one of these for experiementation.

> -	Power adaptors and cables				$200
> -	Firewire cables						$150
> -	Audio cables						$150

They want a formal quote, not handwaving.

> 6	CR2025 3V Lithium Battery				$2.95 each
> 	http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SB2520
Think quite detailed! ;) Perhaps drop this.

> -	Network cables						$50
We start to get in to:
* RJ 45 ends (pack of 10)
* Roll of ethernet cable
* Crimpers
* Cable tester....

...all of which I think is too much detail for what we're after right now.

But for the ExpressCards, Shuttle and Fury - if you can get a "formal
quote", then we can send "oh, we needed these small parts as well".

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>