[PLUG-AV] Moodle video review

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Wed Feb 15 21:11:50 WST 2012

I add the following option in my alsa.conf file.

Under gentoo this sits in /etc/modprobe.d - ymmv.

/*options snd-usb-audio index=2,3,4,5,6,7,8*/

This forces USB devices to be allocated from device id 2 through to 8.

I need to do this as I typically have two or three USB MIDI devices
connected that are also treated as USB audio devices. I also have two
onboard NVidia devices that I want always see at 0 and 1.

We currently plug in a USB headset, and will soon be plugging in USB
MIDI Tally Light devices too, so we will need the comma separated list too.

As an additional level of assurance, the following bash script should
also detect our correct sound card. Set SND_NAME to the device name we
are expecting to use - cat /proc/asound/cards will show them all.

/*SND_NAME="NVidia"

SND_DEV=`egrep "\[${SND_NAME}[ ]*\]" /proc/asound/cards | awk '{ print

echo Using $SND_DEV as our ALSA device*/

Regards,

Euan.