[PLUG-AV] Video problems last night

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed May 2 15:21:46 WST 2012

On 2/05/2012 1:45 PM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> At the end of the talk Nick and I played around getting one of the
> cameras to work on the laptop which the twinpac was connected to
> because we knew that worked. Initially we had the same problem but
> then it became evident the issue was the cable where it plugs into the
> camera, it was partially coming out due to the weight of the cable
> itself and that was messing up the fw signal. I managed to get it
> working by holding it in place then it'd break when I let it go.
>
> I don't know about the other camera if that was a similar problem. So
> we definitely need to test this again and perhaps rig up something to
> help the plugs from partially or completely coming out.
>
> FYI i'm uploading the video atm, should be there in ~30mins

So in digging through, it seems that the /dev/raw1394 device is no
longer present; this device is from the raw1394 module, which is part of
the "old" firewire stack, not the new "juju" stack. Doing an strace on
dvsource-firewire sees it try to access /dev/raw1394, so I suspect that
the old stack has been pulled, and dvsource doesn't support the new
stack. I'll find out....

/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2012: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>