[PLUG-AV] Mixer choices

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 1 11:21:01 AWST 2021

On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 10:50:46AM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
[...]
> A sound production guy I know (his name is Guy!) was not very positive about
> my cheap and cheerful selection. I think we can be prudent and buy only the
> first mixer and see how it performs.
> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000945968405.html
> $125.54 with GST and a couple of dockets and delivery before 20 November.

Hah, fair enough.

Key things to check:

- if you're keen to try the wireless microphone versions (I am!), it's
  got to be a valid Australian frequency. This looks like
  695/746/785 MHz UHF, but I'm not sure you get much control over it?
  - 520-526MHz, 524.5MHz, 525.1MHz, 645.8MHz, 645.9MHz seem like valid options in local shops

- looks like micro-USB, 5V, 1A for power and exposing USB audio to a PC
  - that's probably the main advantage of buying a nice small USB-powered
    input device compared to what we have now

> > OK to order? Send through the email receipt/invoice + bank details to
> > committee at plug.org.au and the reimbursement is easy; or if it's at a
> > meeting we can use PLUG's card account.
>
> Is this something the PLUG card can buy directly (I am confused) ? Also
> while waiting for Guy feedback the coupons you sent have expired. Are new
> coupons available since this is a Trending item ?
>
> All the best
> Harry

Coupons - yeah, they come and go. There's usually USD$3 or USD$4 off for
new accounts in any case, looks like now is no exception:
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/deals/aliexpress.com

Card - sure, we can pay, skips reimbursement hassle (though that's an
option, too). Happy to do so at a meeting, or I can stop by your place in
person at your convenience. You're living pretty close to Margaret, too!

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal