[PLUG-AV] Progress on UberTally, Re: Tally SN0002 and SN0003 complete

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Sep 12 21:16:31 AWST 2022

Hi Nick

On 12/9/22 16:41, Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 05:38:05PM +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 05:59:33PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
>>> Hello again
>>> Did you have an opportunity to build and install on the Tally boards yet ?
>> Haven't rebuilt the code yet, but reloaded some of the pre-built images
>> a couple of times.
> [...]
>
> Pulled them out again yesterday at the
> https://www.meetup.com/perth-linux-users-group-plug/events/svrstsydcmbpb/
> but ran out of time to make much progress.
>
> We need a basic checklist-or-ansible documented deployment procedure
> here, that can take a clean OpenWRT router and deploy it with a PLUG
> config, including, say, a "use this ESSID as an uplink" and a "flash if
> your upstream stops pinging" indicator light.
> (That's a tantilisingly-close-to-builtin feature! but I think we still
> need our implementation of it)

Those new images I sent should be more forgiving with the protocol but I
haven't dropped OpenWRT on the Pi3 yet to try it there.

I am going to add code to use a PWM to adjust the big red LED brightness as a
precursor to using one in an EMC lab for an IEEE site visit.

I may put a long wire on the LED on one of the units too so it radiates more
and gives us something interesting to look at.

We will do an immunity test with the human discharge probe to see if it
survives. it is typically a destructive test and I am thinking the board may
need one more component; a two circuit TVS designed to stop the discharge
going into the USB port. The nasty test will tell us if is needed.

It is turning out to be a useful board to do various things. If I have to
re-spin the board I will try to make it accept standard USB and USB-C
connectors also.

All the best
Harry