[off-topic] Reboot will fix everything

Leon Wright techman83 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 20:05:51 WST 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Kai <vk6ksj at westnet.com.au> wrote:

> About patch management, I haven't seen how ours is managed yet. I can
> understand if major things like kernerl updates, or in Windows case, key
> dll's, etc need to be re-read, and/or re-registered, a restart is needed,
> but for general patching I'd think only the relevant services need
> restarting to process the changes.

I've yet to see a day where I didn't have to restart a windows box after
updates. I do however quite often reboot a linux box post patching, just to
be sure everything comes up correctly. I'd rather spend the 30 seconds
waiting for the box to reboot at a convenient time rather then trying to
diagnose a fault after an unplanned outage.

Leon