[plug] incorportation

mtippett at linuxsa.org.au mtippett at linuxsa.org.au
Thu Aug 13 22:25:09 WST 1998

> > I personally believe the LUG's have what AUUG used to have several years
> > ago and the whole community will benefit from the experience/contacts
> > and the keeness etc that can be gotten by working as one.
>
> I think the idea has merit. So much so that I've been pondering the
> implications of Linux Australia gearing itself up to offer just the
> same sort of legal protection that the AUUG proposal offers.

I personally think that most LUGs should stay under their own control, and
leave the unnecessary burden of directly being part of a larger organisation
out of it.

I am not saying that LUGs should not interact and 'do' things together, I
just think a cross-bar that is independent (such as Linux Australia) is
a more appropriate method of doing things.

Once you start burdening groups with things like membership fees, formal
structures, etc...  You start losing the appeal of the 'LUG get-together' and
the community aspects.  To me community indicates implicit want to work
together, not a formal membership, but just a loose organisation that
exists because people want o be involved.

Just my thoughts, of course each LUG can still join AUUG if they want, and
still operate as part of the National LUG movement without necessarily
fracturing the LUG community.

Cheers,

matt