[plug] Re: reinstalling Win95 ate other partitions

Stephen LePage sglepage at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Aug 18 20:52:46 WST 1998

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Doug Clulow wrote:

>I recently had to re-install Windows95, and the installation process
>deleted all my partitions on my second hard drive (as well), whether
>hidden or not, without any indication that this was going to happen,
>taking three other operating systems with it..

Yep, The same thing happened to me!  But fortunately for me, I was
just installing Win98 on a brand new computer, and so, I had not
personalised my installation of linux in any way.

What happened with me was this.  I bought a new computer with Win98
preinstalled.  After booting the computer from my new bootable
RedHad5.1 CD (which I picked up from a recent PLUG meeting), I
proceeded to format the hard disk and create a partition for Win98
and the two partitions for RedHad with linux's fdisk program.  I
then installed linux, and had started to install Win98. Just as the
Windows formatting was complete - it became clear that Win98 had
formatted the whole hard disk - ie: it did not recognise the
partitions as set up by linux's fdisk.  So, the solution was to use
the fdisk on the Win98 boot disk/CD to set up the partitions before
installing either Win98 or linux.

The moral: Use dos's fdisk for dos partitions, and then linux's
fdisk for linux partitions.

I don't know why the partition tables created by linux's fdisk are
not recognised by Windows... Maybe they ARE recognised, but Windows
deletes them anyway!

- my two cents.

Cheers,
Stephen
 |Stephen LePage                          ICQ: 15501673    0-=-0  |
 |5th year, Mech Eng (hons) / Info Tech / Comp Sci, UWA.  /  |  \ |
 |New UWA Parallel Robot Project                         o   =   o|
 |http://www.student.uwa.edu.au/student/sglepage/         \  |  / |
 |Telerobot team, UWA  http://telerobot.mech.uwa.edu.au    \ | /  |