[plug] Sexy monitor and APM woes!

Terry Porter tp at gronk.apana.org.au
Mon Jul 6 10:27:26 WST 1998

Hi ,
     I purchased a sexy  Apple 17" Trinitron digi control monitor from
Ross's Salvage in Maylands (www.discount.com.au) and its perf under
X at 1024x768 at 76Hz.

     	A quick search came up with some data :-
        30 to 65khz horiz, 50 to 120 hz vert, 11 watts power down, 150
watts running. Type is  Apple multiple scan 17, family name M2494.

	Flat screen, pict rotate, 3 colour temp settings etc
and a lovely base with the plugs for your Apple microphone etc (LB would
love this part)!
They have about 14 of them (make sure you get a mac to pc adaptor if you
buy one) and a heap of other excellent second hand monitors.
     I paid $650 (asking $690) for it.

Now I'm trying to get the monitor to power down after a period  of
inactivity.

     I can do this thru the mobo ram bios settings ONCE???

For instance I set it up, and after 1 min, of inactivity, the screen shuts
down (e.h.t. turns off etc) , when I move the mouse, the screen powers up
again. But it only works the first time, after another minute of
inactivity it won't shut down again ?.

     Any ideas?  do I need to recompile APM in the kernel ? don't guess
now :-), anyone got any experience here?

     My system is a somewhat broken (but you'd never know :-) RH 4.1,
kernel 2.0.30 ,still brand new, never re-compiled!
     Diamond stealth 64 DRAM.

    Any help, greatfully received.

      Regards
      Terry