[plug] mail delay

Leon Brooks leonb at ami.com.au
Tue Jul 14 06:26:03 WST 1998

Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> I notice that sometimes my messages turn up at PLUG in a minute or
> three, sometimes a day or so later.

Mine arrives consistently within about 30 seconds to 2 minutes, but not
always in the order that it left.

> My email is handled by an exchange server.  There's quite a bit of
> anecdotal stuff about mail bouncing off exchange servers.  I wonder if
> people using regular ISP services experience very variable mail delivery
> times or if it's confined to the real world - NT interface?

My outbound SMTP is SendMail on a BSDI box (486DX4/80), and inbound POP3
is Popper on an OS/2 box (probably P-200). I usually dial up, sometimes
plug in via UTP through an ISDN link. I won't touch Exchange even with a
barge pole if I can avoid it. Start at http://www.kirch.net/unix-nt.html
for some reasons.