[plug] Shotguns, Masq and ISPs

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Sun Jul 19 11:29:09 WST 1998

> > He has a couple of 56k modems and is wondering what is required to load
> 1st problem, I doubt any isp in rockingham support 56k connections. We
> (Netway) have a POP down there and we find the lines to be crap at best,
> many customers struggle to get 33600 most of the time.

Sounds a bit like the Spearwood area. 44k is normally the speed you get
although even that is a bit flaky.

> As a side note, when you say telstra was quoting him $x for the isdn,
> where was that isdn going to? not perth i hope!

Apparently this is for a new business to be run from home. The $15k price
was for the cabling to the nearest exchange ISDN capable exchange.

> Most providers in rockingham would happily have isdn customers, which
> would definately be cheaper since telstra charge based on distance for the
> isdn by cable.

I am sure they would :)

I don't have his phone number but I will try and raise him by email and
get the full details. I raised a few eyebrows when I heard the cable cost.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

"All parallel ports are equal - Some are more equal than others"