[plug] Ethernet

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jul 29 12:01:37 WST 1998

HILL Walter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can some knowledgeable person direct to a document that talks about LAN
> cabling for a 10Mb/s ethernet LAN.

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/rtfm/LANs/ethernet-faq

and, perhaps ;

http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/rtfm/LANs/cabling-faq

> My daughter's primary school has a computer lab (currently not LAN'd)
> that they wish to connect the Internet.

<Yorkshire accent> Luxury!

> I need to do a big run from one building to another (Computer Lab to
> Library) which is 100m+ and several multi-metre runs within the library.
> I envisage running coax between building and cat5 within. I need to know
> critical lengths of cable. Max bus length etc.

That should all work fine. 10Base2 (thin co-ax) is specified for 185m and,
in fact, 10BaseT (cat5 UTP) should work fine over your distance as well.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal