[plug] Crashed linux box

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Fri Jul 31 22:41:07 WST 1998

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Damion Hill wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just thought I'd pop a note in to say I have managed to crash Linux. I
> don't know if this is a huge feat or not but I did it!!

Not especially. However, you gotta work at it. I've just rebooted after 30
days to clear some NFS problems including a tribe of zombie nfsiods. I'd
also created a /usr partition, moved the /usr directory structure there &
been switching between runlevels.

> First off, I tried to save from my Win95 to the Linux and got the disk
> fiull message. Hmmm, shouldn't be. Telnet in, df and sure enuff 100%
> capacity used on the partition.
>
> Console had reports that CRON couldn't write to log file so I went
> investigating and found a file called mars_new.log  that was very large.
> When I tried to view it I got a swap write error and and then the HD went
> wild and now I can't load the interpreter.
>
> I'm still having fun and it isn't crashing like Win95 when you try to open
> an access dbase! :)
>
> Oh, doesn anyone know what would create the mars_nwe.log file?

Plastic netware: provides file & print services to netware clients.

Most sane people use plastic Lanmanager (Samba).

like my sig!!