[plug] on meetings and AGMs

chris mcdonald chris at cs.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 10 11:28:07 WST 1998

Can I make a couple of friendly (quiet) suggestions about PLUG meetings
and AGMs?  These have been prompted by the observation that most PLUG
email traffic falls into a couple of categories, and a suspicion that we
may be alienating potential members who are not in the fortunate clique
of being able to read and reply to email at 10 minutes' notice.

- the PLUG Web page be updated in a timely fashion to reflect the date,
  location, and topic of the next/current meeting or two (with no offence
  to Ian who, like us all, gets very busy).  If activities were a bit more
  planned and advertised (yes, that's why we need a committee!), I think
  we'd pick up a few more faces.

- that questions about where/when the next PLUG meeting be answered with
  reference to the Web page, and/or the PLUG list-server be amended to
  append the next/current meeting info at the tail of all messages.

- the AGM be given a bit more of a public airing (in The West?), a few
  weeks' notice, and now be combined with a Christmas meeting.  WAUG
  Christmas meetings were well attended;  suggested locations for a PLUG
  AGM/Christmas meeting would be The Albion or that one in South Perth
  (Windsor? opposite the Zoo) where you can cook your own BBQs.
  Hence no presentation.

--------
And just for the record, it must have been another Chris who may have
nominated me (Leon?).

      Position   |            Nominator            |
		 |   Leon         |   Neil Hunt    |
    -------------+----------------+----------------+
    Chairpersion | Gary (declined)| Leon           |
		 | Chris Mcdonald |                |
    Vice-Chair   | Chris Mcdonald | Chris          |
    Treasurer    | David Campbell | Ian Kent       |
    Secrtary     | Me             | Me             |

I'll be toffy-nosing it in the New Hampshire Ivy League for 4 months
of '99, so I'll be happy to be "just" nominated as a standard committee
member if we have those.

chris at cs.uwa.edu.au
"An operating system where you press 'Start' to stop it - I'd like to see that"