[plug] on meetings and AGMs

Greg Mildenhall greg at networx.net.au
Wed Nov 11 01:45:28 WST 1998

On 10 Nov 1998, Kent Ian wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> >  If activities were a bit more
> >  planned and advertised (yes, that's why we need a committee!), I think
> >  we'd pick up a few more faces.
> No offence taken. You make a good point but ...
> I would also need a little more notice of confirmed topic etc.
That would be my fault. Admittedly I have not been lobbying as hard for
talks of late, (mostly due to the exams I am in the midst of) but I think
this is mostly because there don't seem to be so many willing talkers out
there at the moment. :(
I'm trying to run through a mental list of who we've had, roughly:

not Michael O'Reilly was first,
then a staroffice talk by I've forgotten who, with bonus LCD demo,
- umm, John and Terry, perhaps?
then my masquerading talk,
then Chris's install demo,
then Ian and Samba,
then David Campbell's device drivers,
then my GIMP basics,
then Leon's GIMP scripting,
then hpa's autofs,
then Tony's officeware, with a bit from Paul Russel.

That's about as close as I can come. Corrections are welcome.
It makes 10 speakers, with me having spoken twice, since we needed a GIMP
intro before Leon's talk, and I was the only one who even _drew_ a straw.
(did Leon speak twice, too, or does he just seem to have talked a lot?)
11 speakers plus one month without a speaker sounds like a good total for
a year. (though it certainly hasn't been that long)
There are more people who certainly have areas of expertise they could
talk about, but for various reasons have been unable to. (off the top of
my head, Matt Kemner, Gary Allpike, any of our UCC members, and several
others) Now would be a good moment for someone to speak up and volunteer.
In the absence of fresh victims, it might be about time for people to give
a second talk if they are willing and able.
Do any of our experienced speakers have something up their sleeves?
If not, how about we open things up to the "floor" and see what people
would like to hear about? (There is a list of suggestions floating around
somewhere)
If there are a few requests for a topic, I am sure we can find someone to
cover it, perhaps one of those who has talked before and will not find it
so intimidating?
Hopefully we will not have to bring out the press gang, let's see what
eventuates. The next talk will not be 'til January, but it should be
organised now.

-Greg Mildenhall(plug talkd)