[plug] New network card

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Sat Oct 31 18:16:47 WST 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:

> I've just replaced an ISA NE2000 clone card in my PC with a PCI card - a
> Realtek 8029 (also an NE2000 clone), which was lying around on a shelf.
>
> I don't seem to be able to disable PnP in this card with jumpers or by
> using the DOS setup utility.  It starts up in Windows at IRQ 9 and I/O
> D000, whereas the ISA card was 10/300.

> Oct 31 16:50:10 kilaleshwa kernel: ne.c: No NE*000 card found at i/o =
> 0x300
> Oct 31 16:50:10 kilaleshwa insmod: /lib/modules/2.0.32/net/ne.o:
> init_module: Device or resource busy

> There are a number of things I'd like to find out:
>  - what's the syntax to grep all files including in subdirs for "0x300"
> (it's not in lilo.conf).

It will be in /etc/conf.modules
there will most likely be a line "options ne io=0x300"

Failing that (to answer your original question)
to grep all files in a directory incl subdirs you can run
for File in `find .`
do
  grep -q $File && echo $File
done

>  - given that I find the I/O entry somewhere and remove it, I hope the
> startup process will automatically find the card at 9/D000.

It won't - the ne.o modules will not autodetect the IO address.. If you
compile it into the kernel however, rather than using a module, it will
autodetect.. On the other hand, recent kernels (I think later than 2.0.34)
include a ne2k-pci.o module which is specifically for the RealTek
8029/8019 cards, and which will read the IO address from the pci bus.

If you're not willing to install a new kernel however, probably your best
bet is to find out what IO address the card is assigned under linux (most
likely but not necessarily the same as windows (D000)) which you can find
out with "cat /proc/pci" which should give output similar to:
  Bus  0, device  10, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Realtek 8029 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ a.
      I/O at 0x6300 [0x6301].

just enter the IO address in instead of the 0x300 and your module should
pick it up. Note that you don't need to reboot the system to load the
module again - this is linux :) just run "modprobe ne" after you've edited
the file and it should pick it up.

> file with instructions on building a new kernel.  I was hoping not to
> have to go that far, but . . .

But building a new kernel is _fun_ :)
(ok well maybe I'm just silly, but still compiling kernels isn't that
difficult and is something every linux user should learn how to do IMnsHO)

One other question.. what kernel version are you running?
anything earlier than 2.0.33 (I think) has several nasty networking bugs.
I recommend upgrading to 2.0.35 asap (and .36 when it comes out)

 - Matt