[plug] New network card

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sat Oct 31 23:38:11 WST 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:

> There are a number of things I'd like to find out:
>  - what's the syntax to grep all files including in subdirs for "0x300"

Seems to be some diverity of opinion here. I personally  use two:
grep "0x300" `find /usr/src/linux -name \*.c`
In this case this is likely to create too long a commandline, so plan B
ind /usr/src/linux -name \*.c -exec grep "0x300" mm '{}' ';'

The quoted curlies get replaced with the file name. Quoted semi is required
to tell fine "here's the end of the command." It's to stupid to accept
end-of-line.

The mm is there so grep has a list of files: makes it name the files
containing matches.

You can also use "-type f" to select files (not dirs) -perms for
permissions and lots of other things.

Quoting curlies and semis had me stumped for ages: couldn't see it
mentioned in the docs at all.

Cheers
John Summerfield