[plug] Linux Databases, ODBC & Web Front end

Peter Robinson ribbo at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 15 11:56:33 WST 1998

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Leon Brooks wrote:

> Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Has anyone had anything to do with ODBC compatible SQL databases,
> > preferrably ones that are easily front ended to the Web and possibly also
> > be able to be front ended to MS Access using ODBC.
>
> > I'm looking to set up a site that has the ability to have a list of
> > people, with contact details etc (a simple one table database) that can be
> > searched from the web etc, but be updated by someone using a simple Access
> > ffront end.
>
> Do you need the Access front end, or could you use a browser also for
> administration? If so, can the Access and run with a smaller, cheaper,
> lighter and faster system.
>
> I use PostGreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org) for data and PHP
> (http://www.php.net) as a module to web-front-end it all neatly from
> Apache.
>
> I seem to recall that someone wrote an ODBC interface for PGSQL and one
> or more of mSQL and MySQL. Try a search for ODBC on FreshMeat and see
> what comes up.

The Access front end isn't vital, but I'd prefer not to have the full
editing capabilities available on the Internet/Intranet but rather prefer
this one person to have the only access through a front end. The Access
won't slow tha actual DB doown as it just uses ODBC to update the DB.

Thanks for the info, I might mail you if I run into Problems!!

Peter