[plug] Education for the masses

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Apr 2 08:49:28 WST 1999

Bret Busby wrote:
> My boss (!) has tonight suggested to me that, for full-time employed people,
> the Sunday marathon type sessions would make the courses more accessible, as
> they would not be losing work time to attend the courses.

That was the idea.

> Each of the courses could probably (?) be worked this way, with the Internet
> Administration course possibly able to be run over three consecutive Sundays
> (?).

'Tis possible, although messier. I would like to offer the course both
ways.

> Would the fees apply the same to all enrolled in the courses, or, would
> full-time students get discounted rates?

I had the idea that students and unemployed *who are putting themselves
through* would get a discount, maybe 20-30%.

> Which distribution would the Linux Install Workshop involve? As a novice,
> from what I understand, Red Hat is a relatively uncomplicated distribution
> to install, whereas some of the other distributions, for example, Slackware,
> involve getting the installer's hands dirty. By that, I don't mean that Red
> Hat is "stick the disk in and press go" easy, but is supposedly more simple
> than others.

I was thinking "your choice of RH or Debian" based on the idea that
choice is good but too much choice bogs you down. Perhaps we could
alternate RH groups with Debian groups, and occasionally have something
different like SuSE, TurboLinux or whatever, and/or maybe an annual
Sparc/nonIntel/oddball-distros intake.

--
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.