[plug] apt-get segfaulting

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Sun Apr 11 19:23:39 WST 1999

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Christian wrote:
> Peter Caffin wrote:
>
> > Stuff that, I'll just ignore the engine and its natty frames and odd
> > "features", and use Altavista which generally finds the page I'm after
> > with a couple of standard search terms ;).
>
> The Debian search engine page doesn't use frames...

http://insite.verisim.com/search/debian/simple does. And *that* is the
search script linked to http://www.debian.org's front page. Is there
another one buried somewhere else?

> I was sort of including the web page as part of the package management
> system

Your definition of a package management system is not my own, it would
seem.

> - it is, after all, one of the main ways you can access
> information regarding the available packages.

By that definition, both Slashdot and Freshmeat are also part of the
Debian Package Management System. If you look at it that way..

> I would imagine that it can't possibly be more efficient - especially
> since you're depending on AltaVista keeping up to date with the contents
> of the Debian site.

This is what I like about Debian's webpage, y'see. The package page
locations don't change with an update of the version.
http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/news/tin.html, for example, remains
at that location no matter the update in version numbers. Which makes for
productive searching via other means.

In any case, I'll let this rest now. Obviously, with people rushing to its
defence, the search engine at www.debian.org has an enthusiastic
following. I can't top that. The people have spoken.

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |