[plug] Setting up a monitor

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Apr 16 10:55:45 WST 1999

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, mystery wrote:

> We have a monitor that has a top horizontal refresh rate of 54 KHz.  The
> lowest refresh rate I can find in Xconfigurator's monitor selection menu is
> 60 KHz.

That's strange. VGA is only 31.5 kHz.

Unix is configured by text files mostly. Here, the file is XF86Config
(in /etc/X11 on my machine).
Just edit the line containing 'HorizSync'.
There should be comments to explain it, or RTM XF86Config(4/5).

> Will selecting 60 KHz damage the monitor?

Possibly. I havn't heard of modern ones being damaged this way though.

Of course, with 54kHz, you wont get 768 lines without flicker.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
How many MCSEs does it take to change a light bulb?
[prizes for the best answer - to be published here.]