[plug] Caller ID Problems

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Thu Aug 5 12:07:55 WST 1999

Matt Kemner wrote:

> Probably a silly question, but did you use AT&W to write that
> configuration to the modem's memory? After every call mgetty will reset
> the modem with ATZ (and a few other settings compiled into mgetty)
>
> You can change the init string mgetty uses by editing
> /etc/mgetty/mgetty.config and changing the "init-chat" line to something
> like:
>
> init-chat "" \d\d\d+++\d\d\dATZ OK \d\d\dAT#CID1 OK
>
> That way after every call mgetty automatically enables CID (and you won't
> have to write it to memory with AT&W)
>
>  - Matt
No - I just used the command line init strings to send the AT#CID1
string (with -m) to the modem whenever mgetty is started. The init-chat
string is only sent to the modem when mgetty is started as well. In my
circumstance, mgetty is not terminating. Mgetty examines the CID info of
the call, rejects the call based on that info and that same mgetty
process then waits for another call, expecting some more CID info which
never arrives, hence, due to my settings in dialin.config, all future
calls are rejected and never answered.

I have modified the mgetty source code to exit after a 'denied call'
condition and this seems to do the job (because the modem gets
initialised again), but I would much prefer not to do this, as it
becomes a 'non-standard' mgetty.

Garth
ps mgetty is running from inittab with respawn.

--
In case of atomic attack, all work rules will be temporarily suspended.