[plug] xterm and xterm-color

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Aug 5 12:55:49 WST 1999

My normal desktop (KDE) has XTerms (KVT) with terminal type
"xterm-color", and certain console apps give colour.

However, when I telnet to remote hosts, I often get something along the
lines of:

tcsh: No entry for terminal type "xterm-color"
tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.

I've been experimenting with .telnetrc and redefining TERM to go to
hosts (telnet's passing on of Env Vars is quite cool!), but all this has
led me to several question re Term types, Telnet, etc ...

  - In a .telnetrc, is there any way to use wildcards for the machine
names? (Getting sick of duplicating settings for the myriad of hosts I
log into)
  - Even telnetting to another Linux box, which DOES know what an
xterm-color is, it still gives the above error. Why doesn't it know it
if I telnet, yet does via a KVT?
  - Is there any way to make tcsh, etc, default to something else other
than "dumb"? Such as default to vanilla "xterm"?

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :