[plug] Windows 98 SE

Garth Atkinson garth at cclinic.com.au
Wed Aug 11 23:28:55 WST 1999

Hello Pluggers

Tony Lockett announced his retirement today so I guess there is one less
plugger going around. Sad day.

Today I had the honour of installing Windows 98 Second Edition on two
computers. I <BIG><BIG><BIG>spent two hours</BIG></BIG></BIG>trying to
install IE5. I finally got the hint that the IE5 install wizard wont
work (Detected a fault:Contact Micros~t) if a modem isnt installed.
Install a bullshit modem, run the wizard, tell the wizard to use LAN for
internet, delete the bullshit modem, and it works. Now this is perfectly
okay for any program to behave in this way IF you can get in and see
where its falling over, but Micros~t dont give you that option. Bugs
with Linux setups are a walk in the park compared with Micros~t 95/98/NT
systems.

Garth