[plug] Debian Installation

Bradley Browne Brad.Browne at serco-ap.com.au
Wed Aug 18 13:51:42 WST 1999

I have just finished reading the Debian GNU/Linux: Guide to Installation
and Usage book by Newriders.  My first impressions of the book were
quite unimpressive, as the typesetting leaves a little to be desired.
The content of the book is quite broad and the detail is a little bit
inconsistent (much like the way I write :-) but I haven't read a book so
dense with useful information, and yet easy to read, in some time.  My
book shelf is populated mostly by O'Reilly books, which hurt my head to
read sometimes.  The density of information in an O'Reilly book can be
daunting for someone who is very new to Linux, I know because the first
Linux book I bought was Running Linux, and I still have not read some
chapters.

I have found the book very useful and would recommend it to a person who
has used RedHat for some time and wants to go 'hardcore' and use
Debian.  The skills that I have picked up using RedHat came in handy and
the apt desription ('scuse the pun) of the Debian package manager
allowed me to be up to speed with it quickly.

The book is not all that pretty but on the positive side, it comes with
Debian Slink 2.1, has a good intro to Linux (better than most books its
size), and is GPL.  I think it is probably the Debian answer to the APC
Redhat Booklet, although it costs about $40.

Chhers,

Brad

 Debian GNU/Linux: Guide to Installation and