[plug] Multiple possible PPP dialups and DNS

cthart at gbs.com.au cthart at gbs.com.au
Fri Aug 20 11:41:09 WST 1999

Matt,

Thanks for that, I thought so :-(

I suppose most of what I need is in the HOWTO;
my concern is that it takes longer to query the
root DNS for some things, less time others,
given we're in Australia, should I query
an Australian DNS server?

Or will it query the appropriate server for
the given domain?

Basically I guess I'm asking "Am I going to
get a hit for going to a DNS server that's
not local", and I guess the answer is, "On
average, no".

Thanks,

Colin

<snip>

Better yet, set up a caching DNS server that doesn't forward all of it's
queries to your ISP's DNS, but rather talks to the root servers etc itself
- that way it will just use whatever default route is active to find
answers to it's queries.

 - Matt

Colin 't Hart         email: cthart at gbs.com.au
Systems Analyst
Geographic Business Systems Pty Ltd
The Garden Office Park
345 Harborne St         phone: +61 8 9443 8822
Herdsman WA 6017          fax: +61 8 9242 4412