[plug] IP Chains

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Wed Dec 22 13:05:11 WST 1999

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, skribe wrote:

> Does anyone know where I can find a walk-through/tutorial on IP Chains?
> I've checked out the how-to and all I've managed to do is completely block
> everything as a result =).

Leon gave an example ... you can see it at:
http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/11-1999/328.html

But from the Howto I've got:
---
#Linux IPCHAINS-HOWTO: I'm confused!  Routing, masquerading, portfor (p2 of 13)

3.1 Rusty's Three-Line Guide To Masquerading

   This assumes that your external interface is called `ppp0'. Use
   ifconfig to find out, and adjust to taste.

# ipchains -P forward DENY
# ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
---

It's not the most secire BUT will let you pop/imap your mail from your ISP
and browse the web.

Yours Tony.