[plug] Accessing multiple Samba shares

Dave T Burbidge dave969 at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 28 11:27:30 WST 1999

Subba Rao wrote:

> <snip>

> I always logon to the NT system as the administrator. However, I would like to access all the
> user's home directories on Linux system. That would allow me to do backups. Under the
> current setup, I can only see the directory of the person as I logon.
>
> Any suggestions, if this can be done?

NT automatically sends all the login info when it connects - problem is, it's for whoever is
currently logged into it...

Can I suggest setting up a hidden share at the /home level that only the administrator (and any
other login likely to perform backups) has access to (also check user permissions on directories
& files further down the tree). Shares are hidden by finishing them with a '$' (hidden means they
will not appear in Network Neighborhood - you must map them manually). For example, how about a
read-only share called userhome$ that points to /home.

If users don't have actual telnet/ftp permission to their dirs., then make sure that all files
are set so group members can read all files (and that your login into the box is also in that
group (you may need a separate login to achieve this)) - this way you can read them.

I hope this helps...

Dave Burbidge
--
ICQ   : 19634125
Home  : http://www.iinet.net.au/~dave969/

This Murphy person has a lot to answer for!