[plug] Trouble with LILO....

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Mon Feb 8 09:06:08 WST 1999

Dale Baker wrote:

> At 08:41  7/02/99 +0800, you wrote:
>
> I have 98, NT and RH 5.2 installed across 2 IDE drives here with system
> commander, although you I'll have to buy it its well worth the money imo
> and will solve the booting problems.
>
> >jon kitchin wrote:
> >
> >> some SCSI disks fail with the LI...
> >> the word "linear" is meant to tell the LILO program
> >> that the HDD is using LBA which is short for
> >> linear block addressing
> >> it doesn't seem to be needed for IDE HDDs
> >> not sure what you are using
> >
> >I'm just using 2 IDE Hard-drives... no scsi at all... 8-(... thanks though...
> >8-)
> >
> >Dave...

Umm.... WOAH....
By changing your drive type from whatever to LBA in the bios, you have
changed the effective geometry of the drive. Windows will not function
until, either, you change it back to what it was, or re-fdisk and format
the drive, then re-install windows.
I had this happen to me once. Could not figure it out, then realised I
had
changed the way dos looks at the physical drive. It could not nut out
the
re-structure of the partition.

BTW, I'm using Lilo on 3 machines. all dual booting linux/windows of
some sort
and I have never had a problem. Lilo is not that simple to configure,
but once
you get the hang of it, it's easy. I even used it on Non-lba drives,
though that
was a while ago, I don't recall having to many problems.

The easiest way around this is to borrow a computer of a friend, zip up
your whole
windows drive onto thier machine over a network, except the swap file.
and re-fdisk/
format in lba mode, then put a basic install of windows on, with
networking, and unzip
your old drive partition into a new directory. Then re-boot in dos mode,
blitz the new
windows install with a deltree, and move the whole drive back to where
it was.
Scandisk, and sys c:, and she should be apples.
It has worked for me several times anyway, and if you run into a heap of
strife, I'd be
happy to roll round and give you a hand.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Brad Campbell

Seme Electrical Engineering Co