[plug] Interesting email problem

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Fri Feb 19 17:51:32 WST 1999

David Campbell wrote:
> Got this in the email at work today, could someone write such a virus for Linux?
> Anyway, I need to practice on my fiddle ;-)

> "There is a new virus going around called Happy99. It's an email attachment that plays a
> fireworks display. It also secretly infects your PC and sends a copy of itself out to other users
> without your knowledge. This has the potential to quickly overload our email system. The virus
> may also affect Internet connections. The current virus scanner cannot detect Happy99."

I think not unless (a) you read email as root and (b) your mailer is a
bit dense. It would work by replacing a system utility or library with
the virus and would be likely to break something immediately.

--
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
		-- Philip K. Dick, "How to Build a Universe"